Monday, November 1, 2010

In my education, I try my best to find happiness through my creativity.

Raiana Romero
English 101

  I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. - Albert Einstein .    

     In my education, I try my best  to find happiness through  my creativity. The quote above has moved me in ways that are unexplainable. But, for the most part this quote has made me realize that within my creativity I can go far in life. In this essay, I will discuss the challenges I go through within my education such as procrastination and lack of effort  and how I find solution's to over come those challenges. When it comes to education everyone has personal challenges they have to overcome to become happy and satisfied .
   Schooling was never my strong point , it was just another one of those things that had to be done I am more athletic than scholarly. Procrastination was my best friend and it haunted me everywhere I went, I never felt a rush or pressure to get my work done. I believed there was always time  “to do it later”. Once I realized there was no escaping it,  stepping up to it would be my only solution and my only way out. As I got older I have progressed in my education but still my enemy (procrastination) is attached to one side of me. I try to understand  why it just wont  go away and then I realized maybe its my time management or my prioritization skills. I admit to leaving things to the last minute because I forget how time flies. I am making it my business to leave this enemy behind today . I have come to realize that I have stupid distractions like going out ,(knowing I have things to do )or being on my phone when I should really be going over my notes. My Mom nags me persistently about my work and my priorities and I simply ignore her. This has hurt my grades tremendously . Easy assignments would be graded poorly because of my lack of effort and not necessarily because I didn't know or understand the work ,but because I didn't put the effort or time into going over it.
    Boredom eats me alive, I get bored so fast its unbelievable. I get distracted very easily. This causes me to lose concentration on what I'm learning at the moment or even the task that I'm in the middle of doing. Something that's around me may catch my eye and that's the end of it.  As a child my mother had me tested because she thought I had Attention Deficit Disorder I would make her crazy at homework time but I tested with a very high I.Q. In 8th grade I was reading on a 12th grade reading level so it wasn’t that I was “stupid”  I just couldn't remember what I was suppose to be doing or that I even had a test that day. I was diagnosed with  “Short Term Memory Disorder”. If my mom would tell me to study, by the time I got to my room I totally forgot what I was suppose to do and did something completely different. Its sad that I suffer from this but as I got older I learned to deal with it a little better than when I was a child (with the help of my parents persistence on teaching me to concentrate on the task at hand and to complete one thing before I start another) Now in college, I started to find myself drowning in the amount of work I am getting not because the work is too difficult to understand , but because of my love to procrastinate and my lack of concentration. 

I am a very creative person , I love to see things in a way others don't. I am one of those people that prefer to “see the glass half full,rather than half empty”. I like to draw things out and label each when I have a assignment to do . It helps me understand what I have to do more easily.So in an effort  to overcome my weakness’  I am going to use my creativity to seek what interest me the most in the criteria I am learning. I always took the information I learned into different perspectives then my classmates. I would take in the information in a way that satisfied myself and a way I could study and understand it the best. Sometimes it benefited me and sometimes it didn't but it helped me keep interest .
As George Lowenstein states “ Happiness is a signal that our brains use to motivate us to do certain things. And in the same way that our eye adapts to different levels of illumination, we’re designed to kind of go back to the happiness set point.Our brains are not trying to be happy ,our brains are trying to regulate us”. So I have decided  to try something different . I now will try my best to find the littlest thing in the subject or task I'm doing, that will keep me interested and keep my attention. I will fight off the boredom that use to over come me and make me day dream. I will not allow this thing called “procrastination” to control my life. I have to do  this because at the end of my education will be what I consider happiness. Maybe I will set a picture of happiness in my brain of all the smiling little faces that one day I will make an impact on as a teacher and maybe make a difference in their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment